[Edited to add: I am an idiot. Thank you to Junk Drawer Kathy for dragging around that damn video camera and filming my reading. I had such a blast and can’t imagine BlogHer without you.]
[Edited AGAIN: I am a dumbass royale. Kathy not only filmed the video, she is the one who suggested the "Concussion" post and persuaded me to submit it. NONE of this would've happened without her.]
Well, you didn’t think I was going to do it without my anxiety meds, didya?
Because that wasn’t going to happen, my friends.
So while I was talkative and receptive and vivacious and “on” for most of the wonderful BlogHer experience, there was a brief period, about an hour before the Keynote, when this happened:
A Drugged-Up JD Wanders Around Aimlessly, Looking for Her Free Poken and Saying Stuff
But amazingly, I pulled it together, because then THIS happened:
Did you see what I did there? I didn’t read my post. I TOLD it. I worked hard to memorize it, because I felt it wouldn’t be as funny if I read it. Still, I was nervous, because telling rather than reading means you stumble over words, forget, or blank out. But it went surprisingly well. Thank you to everyone who came up to me afterward and told me you’d had similar experiences. I’m glad I wasn’t the only faking, selfish, lying monster of a child.
That was Friday. Saturday was Tim Gunn Day. But that’s another post.
A happy JD waits for Tim Gunn
SEE! Photos from BlogHer Day 1
SEE! Photos from BlogHer Day 2
SEE! Photos from Kathy’s Visit to Chicago
A HUGE shout-out to my fellow Keynoters, all of whom were awesome.
1. Georgia Getz of i am bossy kicks things off with some poetry: Dr. Seuss’ ode to a Blog Conference
2. Issa of Issas Crazy World blogs about her Uncle Marky
3. Karen Walrond of Chookoloonks reads Reflections on why the election of Barack Obama affected me so deeply
4. Sheri Reed of Today Is Pretty speaks on making amends
5. JD of I Do Things So You Don’t Have To tells BlogHer I Faked a Concussion
6. Mike Adamick of Cry It Out asks, Don’t all kids play in vacant warehouses?
7. Pam Mandel of Nerd’s Eye View has the Wheelie Suitcase Blues
8. Amy Turn Sharp of doobleh-vay ruminates On September 3rd 1973, at 6:28pm and 32 seconds, a bluebottle fly capable of 14,670 wing beats a minute landed on Rue St Vincent, Montmartre
9. Black Hockey Jesus of Wind in Your Vagina talks to his daughter with 5
10. Danielle Henderson of Knotty Yarn gets stuck in the middle with you
11. Tanis Miller, the Redneck Mommy, announces Dear Internet, I’m Placing You on Notice
12. Tarrant Figlio of Retro Food sings a Love Song in a Foreign Language
13. Grace Davis of State of Grace finds Forgiveness where it belongs
14. Melissa Ford of Stirrup Queens tells a story of Updating the Donation Room Porn
15. Pauline Edwards of Classy Chaos explores Finding my place in the world, as an immigrant
16. Wendi Aarons of Wendi Aarons confesses her Coke dependency
17. Nina Gotua of Laughs! Thrills! Pathos! opens Memory box 1
18. Kelly Graham-Scherer of Don Mills Diva says Privacy? Schmivacy
19. Corynne Corbett of That Black Girl Site looks at what happens When White Women Become Experts on Michelle Obama’s (And Our) Hair
20. Catherine Conners of Her Bad Mother pays tribute to a Lost Boy
21. Finishing the evening, Heather Spohr of The Spohrs Are Multiplying reads Known
And thank you, Ree, from The Pioneer Woman, for sending me the above photo.