Wait! WAIT! WAIT!!!
This is a brand-new post! It’s not the recycled “Braunschweiger” post from the other day. It’s got all new stuff. And pictures!
‘Cuz, you know, after reading through all your awesome food comments, I got hungry. Real hungry.
So I asked Dave to get me some of the ol’ slimy, gray ‘schweiger when he did the shopping.
“It’s in a tuuuuuuube!” I called after him.
I was really excited! Braunschweiger for lunch! After how many years? One? Two? I dunno. It was still exciting.
I assembled my ingredients: sandwich roll, red onion, crisp lettuce, and yellow mustard. And the tube (click to see that I use only authentic Braunschweiger).
The tube is smaller than I remember. But what isn’t, these days?
I spread the spready stuff and layered on the onions and lettuce.
And took a bite.
Mmmm . . . I mean, ugh. Or is it mmmm? I couldn’t decide. I had to take a few bites. That old familiar braunschweiger taste was there, but there was this other—side taste, if you will—that kept creeping in and making me feel nauseous. It, too, was vaguely familiar, but I don’t remember it stimulating my gag reflex to this degree. The gross side taste dominated the good taste until, finally . . .
“I didn’t like my braunschweiger,” I confessed to Dave.
“That’s why I got you the small tube.”
The good news is, I was able to complete my . . . OUR . . . top ten lists. Thanks for your help! I loved reading about your food quirks. Some were disgusting, some were tempting. Some were disgustingly tempting. Herewith!
Top 10 Foods We Love Even Tho They Look Wrong
- Anything from McDonald’s
- Braunschweiger (tho I withdraw my vote)
- Fried scorpion
- Pickle chips
- Raw oysters
- Red-hot potato chips
Top 16 Foods We Will Never Eat Because They Sound and Look So Gross
- Blood pudding
- Chicken feet
- Fruitcake (except for Lola from Lola’s Diner!)
- Geoduck (except for Puglette from Puglette Ponders!)
- Parmesan cheese mixed with meat
- Pickled herring
- Raw oysters (not unanimous)
- Scrapple (except for Christa from Giggle On!)
- Shrimp with poo-vein
- Tongue (except for Trade Show Guru!)
Top 21 Weird Food Combinations
- Avocado with ketchup
- Bleu cheese with nuts and bitter chocolate
- Bread torn up in a bowl of milk
- Campbell’s Bean with Bacon soup and peanut butter sandwich
- Cheese and jelly sandwich
- Chinese sugar donut dipped in sweet and sour sauce
- Cottage cheese and brown gravy
- Cottage cheese and pickles
- Cottage cheese with peaches
- Flamin’ Cheetos with red wine
- French fries and Wendy’s Frosty
- Fried eggs with ketchup
- Fritos and chocolate ice cream
- Goldfish (crackers) and chocolate pudding
- Grape juice and lemonade
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, and wasabi paste (Oh, Tiggy!)
- Peanut butter and American cheese roll-ups
- Peanut butter and tomato sandwich
- Popcorn and Tabasco sauce
- Potato chips and cottage cheese
- Salt on apples
And . . . my vote for the Best Food Combo: Regan’s “IceFudgekie.” It is, quite simply, ice cream stuffed with fudge stuffed with a cookie.”
Why don’t you try something new today? Be daring. Maybe some tripe? How about a nice avocado with ketchup? You could be really brave and eat a shrimp with its poo-vein INTACT! Let me know how it goes down. No fair picking the IceFudgekie, either.
I’ll have a bowl of smilies with a side order of pickles, fetus head, and an oyster.