An eagle-eyed reader sent me the most incriminating e-mail attachment the other day. In order to protect her anonymity, I will refrain from naming her. But! You should totally check out her awesome photo blog here! Er, perhaps she’s not so anonymous anymore. But I know you can keep a secret.
The attachment was a scan of a magazine cover, and you will not believe your eyeballs. I don’t want to get cross-sued, so I’m only printing a portion of the cover.
I know. You’re thinking this is obviously the cover of Entertainment Weekly. PROVE IT! I say it’s Entertainment Ekly, which is a totally different publication.
Anyway, look up there in the lefthand corner. I’m sorry, but you might catch a glimpse of Sarah Palin’s head Now With Bumpits! Yes, you see it now, don’t you? That helpful finger (attached to Robert Downey Jr.) is showing you the way.
This is a freaking outrage! My source thinks this all came about as a result of my recent Blog Catalog interview, and she damn well may be right.
To make matters worse, this isn’t even the first time. The online version of Entertainment Ekly has also taken part in this skullduggery:
I Saw It So You Don’t Have to (note: This leads you to a review of a Lindsay Lohan movie. AVOID!)
What the? This is just blatant rip-offery. And it got me thinking. Maybe there are other people out there doing things so you/I don’t have to. If so, they must be stopped. And sued.
Oh, but look.
- So Good: I Try It So You Don’t Have To: Cool Whip in a Can (A definite sue. This is so JD. )
- News Hounds: We Watch Fox News so you don’t have to (Well, I can’t be too upset about THAT.)
- Olberman Watch: So You Don’t Have To (BO-RING)
- Utterly Boring: Surfing the Web So You Don’t Have To (OK, you’re sued. I would’ve totally done this.)
- Pretty Pretty Pretty: We Read It So You Don’t Have To: Madison (Meh. Whatever.)
- Church Matters: We watch TBN so you don’t have to (Oh, take it, it’s all yours.)
- The Blackout Pact have a song called “We Drink So You Don’t Have To” (Well, it’s true: I don’t drink, so . . . )
- Lifehacker: Taboo Remembers Tabs so you don’t have to (OK, that’s actually quite helpful)
- Fork You TV: We Sushi so you don’t have to (Sushi? I love sushi! I should’ve done this. SUED!)
- Glossed Over: We Read It So you Don’t Have to: Spilling the Secrets of Cosmopolitan’s Cover Lines (Fine. I’m not sure I could stomach looking through a Cosmo.)
- Washington Post: We Watch . . . So You Don’t Have To (Hmmm. Now we’re getting into the big leagues.)
- Huffington Post: I Watched Bravo’s A-List Awards So You Don’t Have To (Poo. I liked this.)
OK, I am actually starting to get a little nervous here. Who’s stealing from whom? Maybe instead of suing Entertainment Ekly, I should just back away quietly.
. . .
NO! I will fight this! And by “fight,” I mean write a letter to Entertainment Ekly and beg them to pimp my site. If they agree, I’ll move on to Entertainment Weekly.
Pretty soon anyone who wants to do something so you don’t have to will have to clear it with me.
Thanks, Val! I mean, Anonymous Reader!